Search This Blog

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Orchidas XX-XXII @ Laura Rathe Fine Art


I just finished these paper pieces yesterday, and they will soon be in the inventory of Laura Rathe Fine Art in Houston.

Ok, I really cannot get enough of this magenta / fuschia / red-violet color combo.  I love the way the pigment separates when it is diluted with water.  It is simply magnetic.  The thin, delicate borders which form around the transparent puddles of diluted paint are such a quiet, but stark delineation.  It is the combination of these two things that continues to remind me of the vivid fuchsia of my orchid plant.  It is a small plant, but the color of the petals is so intense that it carries quite a presence in the room.

Orchids are one of very few plants that can usually survive a few months with me. I am going to work on my green thumb this summer.  I am!  I am going to grow an herb garden--a very simple one--with rosemary, basil, sage, and mint.  I am doing to do my best not to murder the rosemary.  We kind of have issues.  Anyway, I will keep you posted on my progress (if there is progress to share! :) 



Orchida XX: ink, oil, oil crayon, & charcoal on paper
Orchida XX: 40" x 26.5", ink, oil, oil crayon, & charcoal on paper, 2011



Orchida XXI: 40" x 26.5", ink, oil, oil crayon, & charcoal on paper, 2011



Orchida XXII: 40" x 26.5", ink, oil, oil crayon, & charcoal on paper, 2011




Happy Saturday, y'all!

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy. I have loved experimenting with the pigment separation that occurs when this particular ink is diluted with water...produces a very delicate, floral form. Although I think it is about time for me to get a new orchid :)

    ReplyDelete