Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

Steven Seinberg

I am frantically trying to stretch and prime canvases while staying away from the bees and wasps that are flying in and around my studio.  I have the doors open to limit my exposure to fumes, so they keep coming inside.  I know they want to sting me, and possibly kill me, which is making me crazy since I am terrified of bees and wasps.  In any case, I am grateful that no one is around to watch me behave a total spaz.  Today I have chased one with a broom and accidently sprayed poison on my arm.  Nice.  So much for keeping away from the fumes. Anyway, enough about that.

I want to share the work of one of my favorite contemporary abstract painters, Steven Seinberg.  He is having an exhibition in New Orleans at Soren Christensen Gallery, and I truly hope to make it down to see the show in person.  You can see the whole show online by clicking the link above, but here are images of a few pieces from his show.


Center of Rest II
oil and graphite on canvas  36 x 50


WOW.  I know this is breathtaking in person.  Love the hint at a horizon line that completely falls apart as your eye arrives at the thin gauzey shapes that are sliding down the surface.  Sublime.  And divine.



Silent
oil and graphite on canvas  30 x 30


This is another one of my favorites from this exhibition.  I love the way these primal marks are shrouded in a hazy gray.  It reminds me of how it feels to keep quiet when you really want to scream.  Or worse.



Morning
oil and graphite on canvas  80 x 64


Beautiful. This seems almost magical.  It takes me to a place that is almost innocent or pure, like the instant you awaken from sleep, the moment before you are completely conscious.  Before life hits you like a ton of bricks in the form of awareness.



No comments:

Post a Comment