Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

Now, back to this business of painting.

I am working on a new body of work for an upcoming exhibition @ Chicago Art Source that opens in March.  I will be showing with two other women artists, Susan Davidoff and Sarah Schneckloth.  I hope to be able to find some images of their work so that I can post some images at some point in the near future.

I made these .jpgs large files, so to see the full-size image you have to click on the paintings.  Otherwise, you are viewing a cropped section of different proportions.  Anyway, here are the first two that are finished:

Spell on the Bayou: 48" x 48" oil on canvas


Wind in My Bones: 48" x 48", oil on canvas


As you can see in both of these paintings, there are lines drawn into the paint that seem to weave in and out of the paint and kind of thread through the space.  I've always loved using line to push some of the space back and pull some of it to the surface.  Some of the lines are drawn on the surface, and in some places they are carved into the paint.  To me this very tactile contrast gives these paintings a more material, earthy sense.  I find this especially true in the top piece, Spell on the Bayou, where much of the mark-making has something of a raw or primal quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment